Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Farming on Modified Terrain  (Read 372 times)

Dragon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Farming on Modified Terrain
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »

Yes, I'm back on PE again. It's awfully quiet in the forums here, I expected this game to take off after release. Surely it can't die yet? There's still no other voxel sandbox game with this level of content, the very reason I am back here!

But anyway, just a quick question: Is it possible to farm on modified terrain after final release? I remember that previously NPCs could not work farms if built on modified terrain. I have started building a coastal colony again which naturally involves reclaiming lots of land to build on, will this still be an issue for farming?

Thanks!

Dragon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Farming on Modified Terrain
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »

To answer my own question: Yes you can.

Took a chance and went for it, I built a coastal colony on reclaimed terrain hoping farming will work on it. Finished the colony, recruited all my usual colonists, filled up the incubator with seeds and stuff, and indeed, off went Vera to do her thing.

I noticed some other nice touches and additions since I last played as well. Pity to see the game being left for dead, it was a nice 7 years of PE. I guess it's time to look for something new now, although there's nothing else that offers what PE does, other games of the same type tend to be nothing but empty and barren multiplayer sandboxes with no actual gameplay content.

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Farming on Modified Terrain
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »

There are still a few around, but without company people migrate to socialize, I think.

You did discover the answer for yourself, and that is good.  You can also plant outside your colony sphere (normal or placed terrain) and your colonists will not harvest outside the sphere.  That means you can use any of the plants to "decorate" around your colony, as long as it is outside the range of your colonists.  Alternatively, you can have the colonists only plant and maintain inside the colony, so that you can decorate with plants in various gardens, and simply harvest it yourself when you have something that needs harvesting.  The earth plants may wither and die if not harvested (not sure about this), but the native plants will endure without harvesting, so they can be used decoratively.