Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anime / Manga  (Read 13466 times)

Andoing

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Anime / Manga
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »

Current Anime that i am watching Eyeshield 21 and manga Full Metal Alchemist

Xykosemantic

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »

A few greats you guys should check out :) :
* Juuni Kokki (The Twelve Kingdoms) - School girl cast into a war between kingdoms in an alternate world/reality. Well written. Every couple years I'll go back and watch this through. Tis a gem.

*Chrome Shelled Regios (Koukaku no Regios) - Post apocalyptic earth. Humanity has moved into powered, moving cities to keep clear of the packs of roaming monsters occupying the now toxic landscape. Lots of action, big fights, semi superpower (advanced personal weaponry called DITEs that can be pretty outrageous). Another good show.

*Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - You start off thinking this is the same kind of magical girl show you've watched dozens of times before, but no no no. Dark, eerily animated, and interestingly written, this is a must watch.

*Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan) - Cool series of ova's by the same guy who just released Patema Inverted (Which I absolutely can not wait for!!!). Futuristic drama that focuses on the interaction between humans and their androids. Touches on some good themes and warms me heart.

*Tonari no Seki-kun - Just a fun little 4-5 minute short with the same theme in each episode. Girl sits next to a guy who constantly distracts her in class by playing with things at his desk. Story is told through her inner monologue. Gets pretty imaginative.

*Code Geass - Watch this if you haven't. I despise mecha animes, and I was absolutely addicted to this show. They did really well with just portraying the mechs as tools, and focusing more on the character development and struggles. Throw in a little bit of magic (kind of) and whala! Masterpiece.

*Shikabane Hime Kuro - You die with unfinished business, you turn into a undead monster that "lives" off of the madness of past regret. Shikabane Hime are undead who made a pact with a monk, and now live to hunt the other undead who like to kill all the things. Cool action "zombie" anime.

Might post some more with descriptions later. For now, just going to throw out some names - Angel Beats, Corpse Party, Welcome to the NHK, Noein: Mo hitori no kime he, Steamboy, Nana, Kyousougiga, Steins;Gate, Tower of Druaga, Seirei no Moribito, Yu Yu Hakusho - to name a few.

Malus Tepes

• Dark Lord of Pathea Contests
  • Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Leader of the New Marians
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 06:30:52 AM »

I got another great anime.

Log Horizon. 
After seeing that let down they called Sword Art Online, I felt a pain and this show fixed it.  Great humor, solid plot, plenty of strategy, lots of interesting side characters who recieve attention.  Really good humor, Evil glasses, evil glasses, more evil glasses, the Main character doesn't make everyone useless because Why the F not.  The bullcrap moments of 'deus ex machina' actually make sense. 

Some notes about SAO,  Amazing first 2 episodes.  Episode 3 was decent.  Episode 4-10 are just garbage.  Complete and utter crap.  They go from leveling, to playing CSI: warcraft, to grind festing, to more grinding, to winning a fight by standing still (Granted in some MMO's this is legit but still really stupid for an anime), and this show makes every female character useless.  Asuna, 2nd episode she's amazing, then for rest of series she's just a crappy Tsundere with a cooking skill, a decoration skill, and is reliant on Kirito constantly.  The romance is rushed and it just feels rushed all together.  The entire show is just rushed.  Season 1 should have been 4 seasons long.  Season 2 of the show is even worse.  Kirito keeps his SAO stats (Meaning he is once again, god tier compared to other players who have fixed stats that are all lower than his, and once again has skills no one else in teh game gets.)  so he gets to literally have OP stats compared to everyone for no good reason.  The entire season is essentially his sister incesting all over him and him chasing Asuna.  Oh also now everyone's a fairy.  Once again, every female character in a 20 mile radius is drawn to Kirito like he's in an Axe Commercial.  Once again, they make EVERY side character besides kirito useless as hell.  Oh also, in season 2 the guys playing the game need a life.  Everyone is WAY too serious over a game.   Its not like the first season where if you die, you die inr eal life.  In 2nd season, the 'life and death' game is off, and its everyone is acting even more serious over a game where everyone is a gosh dang Dragon.   

In short, SAO had a great start, and then all they did was stab their own foot over and over with terrible time skipping, rushed and crappy romance, side characters who are made to be useless.  Loopholing everything in a stupid way, God Modding, classic deus ex machina in a bullcrap way that makes no sense.  Horrible character development. 

Log Horizon does time transition much better.  Its character development is much stronger.  Its logic is much more interesting.  The show doesn't take itself so serious that it can't make a joke if the episode is filler (Seriously, in SAO the episode is either stupid serioius or 'humorous' filler which isn't really funny, but pretends so.)  It makes TONS of jokes, the characters feel organic and real.  The character troping is a lot less evident.  There isn't a god damn Naruto/Kirito/Ichigo/goku who everyone always relies on to do EVERYTHING for them.  The main character wins due to being a strategist (who should seriously play chess with Ledouche.)  The plot is a lot more interesting by having people trapped in a game, but revival is still a thing.  The NPC's are actual people, things are just entirely different. 

It feels like its two worlds meeting and how things change.  There is one downside to Log Horizon.  The main character (Like the MC in most shows) is still a girl magnet for some reason.  Of course it doesn't really show until the final episode.  And also, there are players who are likely minors in the real world who have crushes in older men.  Thankfully they don't make these romances out as anything (lets face it, as kids we all had that one teacher we all liked and kinda wished we could date for awhile.)  However its something they dont' do in anime a lot so it felt odd seeing it. 

I loved Log Horizon.  I recommend it to anyone.  Also, beware the evil glasses

I have never seen an anime abuse Evil Glasses as much as this one.  Even Kyouya from Ouran Host Club seems timid compared to these guys some times.
I am the Head of the New Marians Guild.

Xykosemantic

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 07:31:58 AM »

I got another great anime.

Log Horizon. 

YES! I second this! Log Horizon ftw. Can't wait for the next season!

Great description of SAO. I respect it for the sole fact that it revived the virtual reality/game genre that fell off after .hack//sign. Was very disappointed in it otherwise.

Liquidacid23

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »

I only watch classy sophisticated animes... like To Love-Ru and KissxSis :D

but yeah my tastes are more toward things like Is this a Zombie? or Full Metal Panic (Fumoffu was the ****)

Nitishajack

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »

am currently watching eyeshield21 its very funny anime filled with action

Wrongfire

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »

I tend to only like short animes, the only long one I followed was Naruto and I just can't even stand that show any more, it is has severely overstayed its welcome imo...

My favorite so far would have to be Samurai Champloo though, might have to watch through it again soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxjm6PNLIdw

Loved it, the battles are so fast, no blatant cliff-hangers, characters show genuine fear of getting hurt and dying, the story doesn't take itself too seriously.. It was just a good time watching imo and once I started I couldn't stop.

Also really like Deathnote, and though most everyone I know hates the show after [spoiler]L died (Some even refused to watch further after that)[/spoiler] I found the whole show very interesting and tense.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:24:46 AM by Wrongfire »

LoveJoy

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »

I can pretty much agree to all mentioned so far. Specialy Log Horizon had a great first season. Waiting for fall.
But I think Fullmetal Panic deservs to be mentioned. All 3 seasons.
As well as Hoozuki no Reitetsu , Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Darker than black, Gin no Saji, everything railgun related, and not to forget Sunabousu.

I also like Mouretsu Pirates / Bodacious Space Pirates. Beautiful use of colors and a high tech sci/fy story, and not to forget my favorite voice actor Kana-chan :) http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=176

If you do not know anidb, then take a look. If you like anime it should have it all in detail.

For now I follow Akame Ga Kill, Aldnoah.Zero, Ao Haru Ride, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Rail wars, Sabagebu!, Space Dandy 2, SOA II, Tokyo ESP and of cause One Piece and Naruto but Planet Explorers starts to get in the way. Not enough time. :)

Edit:
Another thing I enjoy a lot related to anime is the free media center software XBMC. I even use it on my tablet. http://www.youtube.com/user/teamxbmc
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:25:03 PM by LoveJoy »

Iskandar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »

If "Aldnoah Zero" maintains the pace and quality it's delivered so far, it will easily place top in my overall list! Excellent drama, a solid story with tight writing, quality art, and very well crafted characters.

For the summer season, "Blue Spring Ride" has been quite the charming and endearing romance story so far.... and "Love Stage" has been quite the hilarious and unconventional love story ^_^  Both "Locodol" and "Invaders of the Rokujyoma" are great comedies, each with some very lovable characters! "Nobunaga Concerto" surprised me from nowhere... it has an unusual art style that many don't like, but I found it quite a refreshing change -- and the story is highly entertaining and very well written so far. "The Irregular at Magic High" also has some great scenes... writing seems tight to me, and it doesn't over-explain things, but I hear it's not as good as the light novels. "M3: The Dark Metal" is a bit dark and moody, but I absolutely love the characters... fairly simple story tho, and some predictable plot developments, but the art and characters make up for it imho. And my most anticipated show for the summer is season 2 of "RWBY" -- not everyone is a fan of the CG art, but it has great characters, great writing, and a fast and furious pace... and it kicks off the season with one of the most epic food fights you will EVER see haha!

I also can't even begin to recommend last season's "No Game, No Life" often enough! Some of the best writing, fast paced, great humor, some amazing characters, and a story that has left me itching for more. "Log Horizon" is in the same category -- I can't wait for the second season this Fall! =D

For an older show, the original "Broken Blade" had me riveted... great story, epic music, wonderful art, awesome characters -- even the bad guys were great! They remade it last season as a regular series (the original was a series of 90-minute movies) and changed a few things around... not sure how the remake compares, as I didn't watch it all, tho I can say that the music is disapointingly different.

InfectRam

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »

So many shows mentioned here that I completely agree with.
So here a few more I didn't see listed that I would suggest.

-Baccano!
This show takes place in the US in the 1930's. It's got a great mix of violence and comedy in every episode. The episodes jump around in the timeline, but it's only 16 episodes long and it all fits together in the end. I don't usually say this, but I definitely suggest watching the english dub. It's weird hearing american mafia talking in Japanese.

-Psycho-Pass
Set in the future, where a system monitors every citizen, you are given suggestions for what to wear, eat, where to work ext. Your state of mind is also monitored, giving everyone a crime-coefficient rating indicating the chance that the individule will commit a crime. The show follows a detective division. It has a pretty serious tone to it, and is probably one of my favourite shows I've seen this year. (100 cookies to whoever makes ISO of the Dominator)

-Knights of Sidonia
New this year, this is a pretty decent sci fi. The 3D animating style is different than most anime, and takes a bit to get used to, but they do a very good job with it. It's definitely worth watching.

Trent

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »

So many good anime mentioned already.   Last exile and Twelve Kingdoms I both have on DVD - you know, before that online steaming stuff came to be.

Ive been watching anime since it was called Japanimation so I would have a very long list to sort if I tried to name all of the ones I liked  ;D  Though I I watched some really terrible anime back in the day as well.   Just a FYI - Back in the day Blockbuster and other rental places shelved all of their anime in an adults only section.  You would have Tenchi Muyo (I still like that one)  sitting next to Legend of the Overfiend. Encounters with titles like the latter were eye opening for someone relatively unfamiliar with Japanese animation  :o 

Recent titles I've enjoyed: Mushishi (watch this), No Game no Life (best anime with a dumb premise),  Magi (fantastic setting),  Kill La Kill (insanity), Monogatari  (Depends on your taste)  Silver Spoon ( I farm thus I like farming anime)

JOJ650s

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 02:45:13 AM »

I am not the anime & manga aficionado like someone I know,
but I have watched a few...

Anime:
-Trigun (I really liked this one, I just really do; If I was to go into detail it would take a while.
Although there were a few things I disliked, nothing plot related, just a few elements that the manga didn't have, such as all the swearing.)
-Dragon Ball Z Kai (yes yes, I am passing on the original 291 episodes for the 118ish episodes.
I hear the pacing is much better, as you don't wait several episodes for one attack to finish charging. XD)
-Avatar: the last air bender. (Great series, I really enjoyed it.  Oddly enough I have yet to see the Legend of Korra.)
-some Studio Ghibli films (I am still catching up on some of these.)
That's pretty much it currently.
Most other shows I seen would be considered cartoons. (such as the 2003 Ninja Turtles Series.)

I would like to watch some Eyeshield21 in the future, I hear it's great.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:47:30 AM by joj650s »

pat

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2015, 11:05:11 AM »

I have to mention Mujin Wakusei Survive because the setting is similar to PE, a group of students trying to survive after crashing on a planet
Pages: 1 2 [3]