Pathea Official Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Alpha 0.8 Released!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I have searched many years for this game; I plan to promote this to my fans.  (Read 1878 times)

Parogar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

I'm a writer with a few thousand fans, and while I don't know how good it will do, I'm going to try to promote this to all of them when it hits closed alpha.

Let me just say this, though: words can't express how surprised I was when I downloaded the alpha and this game turned out to be what they said it was. Seriously, even as someone who likes to write, my astonishment was so great that it sapped the words out of my brain.

I have to give you guys a little context for this to make sense.

Ever since I discovered minecraft, I knew that we had just entered a new age of possibility in games. And since then, I have searched tirelessly for something that can be everything I've wanted in a game. I have spent so much money on games trying to find a game like this, and yet, despite all my late-night Google searches, it wasn't until three days ago that I actually found Planet Explorers. But from then until now has been a nonstop splurge of money thrown at indie developers who can't deliver.

Here's an example: I recently paid for the closed alpha of Starforge, because I thought that that was going to be similar to this. Instead, I ended up shelling out cash for a game that's going nowhere--and fast.

But it doesn't end--or begin--there. I've been handing out cash left and right trying to find something, anything, that is what "Planet Explorers" is turning out, and sort of already has become. So, imagine my skepticism three days ago when I downloaded the 1.5gb alpha.

Keep in mind, that literally everything else out there that aspires to be like Planet Explorers is really just a glorified tech demo. They all end up being like the earliest minecraft alpha but without the ability to craft or do pretty much anything.

So I was expecting (especially given this title's relative lack of popularity as compared to others) to play just another tech demo.

Well, I was wrong. This game turned out to actually do what I've only fantasized of being able to do in a sandbox game. Okay, so yes, there are bugs, there's a lot that needs to be done, and yes, it's going to take time to get there.

The point is that this game makes that journey worth while and worth waiting for. It actually offers up a real, playable proof of concept that not one other game--in all my searching--has been able to put up. I recently bought the alpha of "Realm Explorer", which turned out to be the same hopeless tech demo type of game like Starforge; the type that gets updated once in a blue moon with barely anything worthy of noting being added or changed.

But this game? My god, I am in love with it.

I'm going to do my part in spreading the word, and even if it's not enough, I will hope that it helps. This game is already so far ahead of its competition that it deserves, demands to be more well known.

Sorry for such a long post, but I felt that I had to write this. If I offended anyone, I apologize.

Pathea games: you guys have a winner on your hands. Please stay with it at all costs!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:57:16 PM by Parogar »

Yuki-chan

• Citizen
    • View Profile

i found this game a few days ago too and have played it non stop

theWOODman

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

I agree it's a fun game, but ...it's.....just.....a.....game

wad67

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

I remember collaborating on the mincraft forum a few years ago about a game EXACTLY like this.
The resemblance is uncanny.

Parogar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

I agree it's a fun game, but ...it's.....just.....a.....game

Why does someone always have to be a dick? You don't share my enthusiasm? That's fine. But you don't have to be a rude, snide little twit.

AakaashR

• Musical Genius
  • Enlistee
  • Composer for Planet Explorers
    • View Profile
    • Note by Note Studios

Don't wait- promote it now while the KS is still running!  :D
The Music of Planet Explorers: http://board.pathea.net/index.php?topic=1185.0

MerkerBenson

• Citizen
    • View Profile

Honestly, Parogar, I share your opinion on this game! I fell in love with it ever since I played the first 10 minutes of it! I have searched for years for a game that I can get lost in for a few hours, but to no avail as the games of nowadays are just idiot-proof button grinding passionless simulacras. In my field of work it is important to detach myself from the everyday worries when at home and so far nothing worked for long, and I'm bored of movies and most games and even going to the park, but this one, it has the potential to be so much!

Considering I played one game of 40 hours on just this one tiny alpha, I can barely fathom how much more the whole game will keep me in the loop, especially with all those features they're planning!

And yes, enthusiasm-wrecking muppets appear everywhere, best to just ignore them!

Cheers

darker70

• Settler
    • View Profile

Go for it OP not long left I'm starting to run out of forums I think my PE propaganda machine is seizing up I've done my duty time for some fresh blood.  :D

Calris

• Settler
    • View Profile

Here's an example: I recently paid for the closed alpha of Starforge, because I thought that that was going to be similar to this. Instead, I ended up shelling out cash for a game that's going nowhere--and fast.

I'm interested to hear this, as it was one that I was interested in before I found out that it was steam-only. Care to elaborate on the issues, if possible, without totally derailing this thread?

theWOODman

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

Hey enthusiasm-wrecking muppet here. My comment wasn't meant as a condemnation but as an honest observation and if anyone was offended at that simple statement, then I don't know what to say to you. I play games as well and I share enthusiasm for Planet Exploreres, but good grief there are limits. Here's why I made my statement:

From your post
"I have searched many years for this game"

"I have searched tirelessly"

"I have spent so much money on games"

"all my late-night Google searches"

"has been a nonstop splurge of money"

"I've been handing out cash left and right trying to find something"

There is enthusiasm which I share ( I also contributed to Kickstarter ) then there is an unhealthy obsession. As I said, it's just a game like checkers or Tiddlywinks. So either you over exaggerated  your original post or I must be completely out of touch. I'm sure most of you would say I am the latter in which case you're probably right.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:22:55 PM by theWOODman »

Parogar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

I'm interested to hear this, as it was one that I was interested in before I found out that it was steam-only. Care to elaborate on the issues, if possible, without totally derailing this thread?

Okay, so it's also a Unity-based game (such as this one), but even after a year in development, you can't really "do" anything. There's no stats or anything implemented in this game, and while they do have a "fort defense" mode, it's in a single area with only one type of enemy, and it's barely functional.

It's basically what Planet Explorers would be if you could only place down blocks and do LITERALLY nothing else. You can't even dig yet in Starforge. And the updates (paced months and months apart) add tiny little things that barely matter. This seems to be the trend for every game that aspires to be what PE currently is

Mythrunia, Realm Explorer, Star Forge, Blockscape, etc. There are dozens if not more of these types of games. And I think there's a barrier that can't be overcome--some point where the developers go, "Ah, crap, this is too much to handle. I can't do it anymore."

Parogar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

Honestly, Parogar, I share your opinion on this game! I fell in love with it ever since I played the first 10 minutes of it! I have searched for years for a game that I can get lost in for a few hours, but to no avail as the games of nowadays are just idiot-proof button grinding passionless simulacras. In my field of work it is important to detach myself from the everyday worries when at home and so far nothing worked for long, and I'm bored of movies and most games and even going to the park, but this one, it has the potential to be so much!

Considering I played one game of 40 hours on just this one tiny alpha, I can barely fathom how much more the whole game will keep me in the loop, especially with all those features they're planning!

And yes, enthusiasm-wrecking muppets appear everywhere, best to just ignore them!

Cheers

Thanks for the reply!

And I agree with you. This game is just ... epic on so many levels. And the fact that there's so much more stuff to come makes it so much more exciting. I remember when I first discovered Minecraft, I knew that some day it would blow up into this huge thing, and it did. Same with Dungeon Defenders back when it was a mobile-only game.

PE will become huge. I am sure of it.

Parogar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

Hey enthusiasm-wrecking muppet here. My comment wasn't meant as a condemnation but as an honest observation and if anyone was offended at that simple statement, then I don't know what to say to you. I play games as well and I share enthusiasm for Planet Exploreres, but good grief there are limits. Here's why I made my statement:

From your post
"I have searched many years for this game"

"I have searched tirelessly"

"I have spent so much money on games"

"all my late-night Google searches"

"has been a nonstop splurge of money"

"I've been handing out cash left and right trying to find something"

There is enthusiasm which I share ( I also contributed to Kickstarter ) then there is an unhealthy obsession. As I said, it's just a game like checkers or Tiddlywinks. So either you over exaggerated  your original post or I must be completely out of touch. I'm sure most of you would say I am the latter in which case you're probably right.

Taking criticism on my books might be something I'm required to do, but taking criticism from some dip**** on the internet who has an issue with my personal life choices is not.

Don't care for the way I live my life? Mind your own business, pal. Shove off.

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Governor
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games

Okay, so it's also a Unity-based game (such as this one), but even after a year in development, you can't really "do" anything. There's no stats or anything implemented in this game, and while they do have a "fort defense" mode, it's in a single area with only one type of enemy, and it's barely functional.

It's basically what Planet Explorers would be if you could only place down blocks and do LITERALLY nothing else. You can't even dig yet in Starforge. And the updates (paced months and months apart) add tiny little things that barely matter. This seems to be the trend for every game that aspires to be what PE currently is

Mythrunia, Realm Explorer, Star Forge, Blockscape, etc. There are dozens if not more of these types of games. And I think there's a barrier that can't be overcome--some point where the developers go, "Ah, crap, this is too much to handle. I can't do it anymore."

To be fair, we have ~25 staff now, that's the barrier, you just need more programmers, artists, and designers to get things done on time.

MerkerBenson

• Citizen
    • View Profile

Woa, so the KS helped a lot didn't it? You originally had 15 at the beginning of the KS campaign if I recall correctly...
Pages: [1] 2 3