Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: VS Mode: How does this work?  (Read 189 times)

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
VS Mode: How does this work?
« on: August 17, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »

I posted a thread on Steam.  I was hoping to get comments from people who understand VS mode.  How is the arena supposed to work?  How long is it supposed to last?  and most importantly, does the server need to be reset?

Currently there is only one team that is active... I am hoping that someone will join Team One and build something.  I have built a pretty defensible colony for Team Two.  (Possibly using unfair exploits.)  However I'm not sure that the actual VS game is even running, or if it is played out and needs to be reset.  What are the goals and objectives?  How do you win?

Does anyone know how this game mode is supposed to work?  I have checked the wikis and there is barely a mention of VS mode.  Is this game mode still a work in progress?

For my part, I really like the VS setting.  The coop with survival feel of it is what most people are looking for in a coop mode, and there are things in VS mode that you don't find in other modes that make it interesting.  For instance, you can set beacons on the map to establish teleports to important locations, and when you approach the other colony you are recognized as an enemy and the defenses open fire automatically.  Honestly, I think that's how it should be in other game modes -- unless you team with someone they should not be allowed inside your colony shield.  What's the point of defenses if they are only used for shooting random stags?

EDIT: I forgot to say, there is no in-game information for VS mode that I can find.  The Help screen is the same as the one for other modes.  I think if you are playing VS mode you don't need the basic help screens, you need help screens specific for VS mode.  You should already know how to play if you are on a VS server.  There needs to be information about the goals and victory conditions for the VS game.

The thing that I would like to add would be a VS variant that was skill tree enabled and scripts locked, so that you really had to work to build up your position and find all of the scripts that you need.  it would also make the colonies more defensible if it took longer to get things like aircraft (which can demolish a colony from a safe distance).  Or, possibly even disallow the aircraft scripts entirely.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:20:24 PM by Omidawn »