My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Revisiting Glass Blocks  (Read 22 times)

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Revisiting Glass Blocks
« on: August 12, 2018, 05:28:45 AM »

I know that glass is tricky, and there is probably nothing that can be done about the faceted patterns that appear in complex shapes.

However, I find it exceedingly difficult to craft using glass because of the optical illusions and distorted patterns that appear at various times of the day (most of the time).  I am not really complaining because the crystal patterns are interesting in their own way, but I have given up on my build (dome) because there is only about 1 hour during the day that I can actually see what I'm doing.  It is simply too hard to see the shapes the rest of the time.

What I would like to suggest is that when you go into BUILD mode, the glass blocks become an opaque shape so that they can be manipulated more easily, and then when you leave Build mode they become transparent again.  That would make working with glass SO MUCH easier.

I don't know how complicated this would be, but it would be a huge help.  Thanks!

Another method would be to have a replacement feature like the one in the creation editor.  If I could build it using, for instance, wood, then select and replace all wood in the selection with glass, that would work also, and might be an easier implementation.  Also, one of the corner shapes still seems to be a different texture from the rest of the glass, so it looks like there are holes in the glass even when the piece is in place.  The piece is more transparent than the other pieces of glass, and so it basically disappears when you fit it into place.

I can't seem to make a screenshot that is small enough to be uploaded, but you can see my build on the Survival_Ad2_Skill server northwest of Markham Village, if you need to see what I'm talking about.  It is especially noticeable on the inside shell.  It's the one that kind of looks like a space station.  I would like to finish it, but honestly it hurts my eyes and gives me a headache.