Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Collision boxes on crops interfere with farm tasks and NPC Pathfinding  (Read 288 times)

Mike Loeven

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

Crops and small plants in general should not have collision detection. Such objects do not realistically impair motion and a human can easily walk through fields of wheat corn and other small leafy plants. Collision detection should be removed from all crops and small plants to aid with farm npc path-finding and allow easier access to fields. Posting this in bugs rather than suggestions because this is making npc farmers act very odd and teleport around alot more than usual making farm tasks taking about 3 times longer than it should

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile

They have to have collision in order for the player to be able to interact with the plants.  It is not just the colonists who can take care of plants.  The colonists plant the crops as close together as possible in order to save space.  That is desirable for most people.  If you want the colonists to be more fluid in their motion, you simply have to plant the crops with space between them to move.  You would have to plant them yourself as you see fit, then have the colonists tend and harvest.  That would alleviate a lot of the immersion-breaking teleportation to their target.

You also could not remove the collision because when you have crops queued up, if the boxes were removed they would end up planting on top of each other, or even worse, everything in one spot.

I'm fine with it the way that it is.  It may seem clunky and annoying at times, but the farmers do get the job done eventually.  The alternative would be worse, not better.  The only way you could do what you are asking would be to have two boxes for each plant... one for collision and a larger one for spacing.  That is more trouble than it is worth, I think, and most people want to go the other direction... planting closer together, not farther apart.

Mike Loeven

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

That seems like a design flaw that the UI is bound to the object's physical collision rather than a separate nonphysical proximity based activator

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile

That's true, and I may be wrong about the way it works.