Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Marriage vs Remaining Soul Mates  (Read 1042 times)

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Marriage vs Remaining Soul Mates
« on: June 01, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »

OK, so here's my thought:

1) You currently have the ability to play date everyone up to BFF without impacting your relationship with your boyfriend/girlfriend.  That's great and very useful.
2) As long as you are not caught on a romantic date with someone else, there is no impact upon your relationships for having more than one boyfriend/girlfriend.  You can have the "Lover's" bonus from as many people as you can manage.
3) Ack is able to assist you at your workshop instead of a husband/wife, so the only benefit of marriage is a "romantic" one of having someone share your home and give you a morning treat every so often.  That may change if more husband/wife activities are added, especially if it provides more bonuses or access to new content/items.

So, there is nothing preventing you from play-dating anyone and everyone up to BFF, and then asking them to be your boyfriend and girlfriend in order to unlock the lover's bonus and never have to date them again because they are then already maxed at Soulmate, so you never have to worry about offending anyone and losing all of your bonuses.  That is a very powerful combination of bonuses, if you achieve them all.  Of course the ones who do not give lovers' bonuses can still remain as Best Friends for whatever bonus that may give.

My question, if anyone has been in this position:  If you get married, does it impact your relationship with other boyfriends/girlfriends?  I am quite sure that it didn't used to make a difference, but there have been a lot of changes and I don't know if there is now an automatic downgrade or if it is still safe to do?
Second question: can you still declare intention if you are already married?  I am pretty sure that this also used to be possible, but not sure if it still is.

It would be nice to be able to Soul Mate everyone who gives you a bonus, then select one to propose to in order to get the marriage benefit, or be able to declare to other people even after marriage with no penalty.  Since you don't have to date Soul Mates to retain the status, it would be nice if you get to keep all of the bonuses.  Otherwise it really isn't in your best interest to get married, if you lose all of the bonuses by getting married, or if you can't add more Soul Mates after you get married.  It is much better for your stats to be a "Player."

I know that I can save a backup and test it to see what happens, and I'll post if no one else knows the answer, but it would save time if someone has already done it recently and knows what happens.  There are lots of other things to do!!

Also, for the devs:  if it is safe to marry and still be a lover, please don't change it.  I know it sounds sleazy, but it really is beneficial to "play the field" in-game... especially since you don't really need to keep dating them.  You just have to work everyone you want up to max before you announce your intention.  Then as new people are added, work them up to BFF and declare your intention for each one to get the bonuses, then since you are already at max you will never get "caught on a date" with anyone. (Hopefully you can still do this if you are married, but you may have to wait to get married until you actually meet everyone -- some who may not be available yet -- so that you can collect all of the bonuses before you marry).

Anyway, I hope to hear from you if you know the answers.

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage vs Remaining Soul Mates
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 01:51:28 AM »

Well, since no one seemed to know for sure, I researched it.  Here are the results:

If you are married, you may no longer give the heart knot to anyone (that I know of).  So after you are married you can no longer adopt any more soul mates.

If you get married with more than one soul mate, the soul mates immediately break up with you and drop to 3 hearts (Friend).  There does not seem to be any other immediate negative effect or damage to the relationship.

So that basically means you can farm all of the lover's bonuses, or you can get married and BFF everyone else, but you cannot have the lover bonuses if you get married.

Having a wife is nice... warm fuzzies... but having multiple lover's bonuses is also really nice (mercenary approach).

So now I'm curious what other people think... would you prefer the marriage  :-* or the extra bonuses  8)?  Keep in mind that additional bonuses for either lover or husband/wife could be added at any time.  They may give extra bonuses to marriage in order to make it obviously the worthwhile approach... or perhaps downgrade/upgrade the lover's bonuses to BFF bonuses.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:56:11 AM by Omidawn »

Masklein

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »

Soul Mates is better as far as I understand.  Why marry the cow when you get the milk for free?

Marriage has to offer such a huge upside that it outweighs all other bonuses you lose when marrying.  An NPC that sits around in the house and occasionally gives gifts with some increase to a bonus you already had access to is not enough. 

A good start would be the ability to coordinate activities with your partner in the game.
  • Make sure these forges don't get full and stay powered.
  • Tend to the livestock and pick these plants.
  • Sell this stuff at the market when the price goes above 110%
You know, stuff that takes away some of the frantic management this game can have.  Because, really, once you are married life isn't about continuing to go it alone.  You have somebody that has your back.  On that note, the spouse should have goals and dreams that you, the player, will need to help them fulfill as well. 

If the gameplay around relationships in this game is only grounded in static bonuses then marriage will never be a good gameplay choice.  Content and unlocking new features is how to make marriage compelling.

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:53:02 PM »

Yeah, that's why I'm saying that they may add more bonuses to marriage, or add more relationship/dating options, or possibly downgrade the lovers bonuses to BFF or make lovers bonuses married bonuses, so you have to pick which one is most important to you.  Personally I would like to see the lovers downgraded to BFF (which is actually more hearts, but lower relationship).

The current exceptions are Emily and Phyllis, who both have marriage bonuses that no one else has.  Emily helps with the farm (none of the others actually say that they will help at your workshop, and as far as I know all others are already employed) and Phyllis has a 40% acupuncture discount if you are married to her.

I agree.  As much as I would like to be married to one of them (for whatever is developed in the future) it just doesn't seem to outweigh the lovers bonuses for the time being.  Even though some of them are not cumulative (not as much difference as I was hoping) still many of them do add together.

I'll wait for now before adding more soul mates, just in case they shuffle things around and I decide to get married... it's a lot of work to get all of those hearts only to lose them in one shot by breaking all their hearts.  If they don't change things in the next update though, I think I'll play the Lothario.

Zandia

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »

Just to share, ACK  can become a helper at your workshop in time, without marriage.