My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Legitimate Console Commands  (Read 57 times)

Sty2000

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Legitimate Console Commands
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »

Hi, i'm aware of the fact that "Cheating" tends to be frowned upon but let me state this: Cheaters are going to cheat whether or not it's actually safe to do so. the bonus of console commands is that it can be discouraged or at least penalized (no achievements etc.) for one. the other is it allows rapid bug testing and for testers to get straight to the new content. i for one am a cheater, at least on single player games. I've been looking for days to find a way to actually cut out the grind without downloading fishy third party software to no avail; meaning i haven't actually been able to test ANY new content because I just haven't gone that far. It's a great game and a unique take on a post apocalyptic world. but it really needs a legitimate way to advance without grinding at least in the early release phase

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Legitimate Console Commands
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »

I am all for games that are MOD-able.  However, if you are concerned about testing new content:

I think the kind of feedback they are looking for has more to do with balance and experience, rather than bug reporting or black box testing.  If you skip the experience then how can you really comment on your experience?  Yes, reporting bugs that they may have missed is important, as is feedback on new updates, but I don't think bug reporting is really the main reason for an early release.

If you want to say "it takes too long to get to farming" or "it takes too long to get a horse" or "it takes too long to get someone to marry you," or if there is something that you find frustrating or "not worth the effort," or "too much grinding" then that is good feedback.  There have been several things that I didn't like that have been changed (some of them regarding the rarity of items and too much grinding to obtain them), and I think the game is better for it.

Part of the playability of a game is the sense of reward when you actually work to achieve a goal.  If you skip ahead to where you already have a fully trained horse, then how can you let them know that it takes too long to get there?  Or for that matter, if you never had to run anywhere, how will you really appreciate the change when you get your own horse (which is fairly new)?  Don't short-change yourself in the process.  If you want to give good feedback, you have to experience the whole game.

Also, it is entirely possible that you may find bugs or problems as you play through the section that you are on that have yet to be reported.  There are often things that other people report that I simply glossed over because I was too busy doing something else, and I "forgot" about it before I got to a stopping point.  It is also possible that a change in an update affects something in the earlier part of the game that people playing in the later stages will miss or not bother reporting on because they are past the point of caring about it... it doesn't impact them.  Your feedback on the impact in the earlier game is something that you can provide that high level people may not do, at least not without starting a new builder.

There is a saying, "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."  That is true of good programs, and I think it is what makes the difference between a game that simply "works without crashing" and a game that is great.  It's not just about "does this routine work?"  It's about the intangibles when everything comes together.  Other than funding the project, that is one thing that "fresh eyes" can provide.

For my experience:  with multiple skill trees, there are multiple ways to approach playing the game, and each one will give a different kind of experience.  If you are new to the game, I can tell you that I have started several play-throughs to test different things.  I focused on the Social Tree with my current play-through.  It is a different experience than for someone who focuses on Gathering or Combat, so everyone brings something a little different to the discussion.

Again, it is more about the experience and the balance, and how long it takes to "get there" is part of that experience.  That being said, even if console commands were available, it is just as likely that using the console commands to jump start a routine would in some way cause the game flow to "break" and provide a false kind of feedback... or in a sense necessitate an entirely new set of bug fixes for undefined values in order to allow the console commands to work at any stage of the game.  Modding a game is not the same as using console commands to debug a game.  Modding is actually changing the game, supplying all of the necessary values to prevent it from breaking.  I would assume that is why console commands are not generally available, and people who use them get what they get if it breaks their installation of the game.  It is not the company's responsibility to fix the bugs (e.g. undefined values, broken or unresolved questlines, lack of the right tools, resources, transportation or designs in the assembly station) that skipping to an advanced area would create, and it would bog down the development of the game if developers were forced to address issues created by misuse of debugging tools.

If you are a new builder, enjoy the game where you are.  New content is everywhere, not just across the river.  While you don't really have anything to compare it to, changes are made to things you are already experiencing from the beginning.  New content is in your Workshop, in your Home, in every Ruins, new relationship content, changes to point values, changes to the UI, changes to the market to accommodate new items and inventory.  You are seeing new content everywhere, even if you don't realize that it is new.  You have to play the game at all stages in order to be able to see it when new things arrive and to understand the impact of what has changed.  If you just jump to the end because a new area opens, you are missing all of the things that you need to learn to make real sense out of what is new.  If it is just the desire to expand your horizon, then you are in the same boat as the rest of us... waiting for the new areas to open.  In the case of a new builder it means unlocking the quests to get you to the next section, rather than waiting for new content to be added, but it is still the same anticipation of something new.  Enjoy the fact that you can do something about it instead of just twiddle your thumbs while you wait, and if you want to aid development, learn as much as you can at EVERY stage so that you can give reliable, experienced and knowledgeable feedback about every aspect of the game... not just the end, which is not really even the end yet.  Take advantage of the fact that the developers are still responding to all aspects of the game, and not just the "new area."

Sty2000

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Legitimate Console Commands
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:52:01 PM »

That's good advice