My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Everything I personally would change in the game =)  (Read 619 times)

Bonexy1

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Everything I personally would change in the game =)
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »

Hello everyone,

so far I really like My Time at Portia. This is also the reason why I made a personal list with things and thoughts which could improve the overall gameplay.
For every point I'm trying to give a little bit of reasoning why I think this should be changed or added. However this might not be a full or deep explanation since it would get a really messy post otherwise. Please feel free to comment on all or specific ideas.

What the game really needs
  • The current time (in real life): You get easily sucked into the game and its very easy to lose track of how much time actually passed in the real world. A possibility to
    show the real world time would be really nice to have.
  • Fun weapons: The game currently lacks "fun" weapons and the Enhanced Bronze Sword is literally useless since you get the Iron version at the same time. Why would you ever want to build that? Lower damage as well as no bonus effects. The only interesting (or different) weapon i got is Blade of Malice but sadly at the time I got this I already had the Iron Sword. So again: no reason to build it. Also some additional info on this weapon would be good in the interface (how much dmg does poison deal?).- And yes I know its more of a crafting game but since the battling feature is implemented (+ fun) and even (a few) bosses exist I think this is worth mentioning.
  • Kicking trees: Currently kicking trees feels a bit lackluster (or disappointing) compared to other methods of getting resources since you have to press your kick button once per kick. It would feel a lot better when you could just keep the button pressed just like you do for mining and chopping trees.
  • Making my own clothes: The game really needs more possiblities for crafting your own clothes (especially hats) - currently you are very limited and forced to buy them. I think using the advanced skiver for this kind of stuff would really fit the game.
  • Advanced Skiver: I have no idea why this upgrade is not able to craft all those things which a basic skiver can. Every other crafting machine can. Please add those blue prints to the advanced skiver.

Stuff which I think would be cool if implemented
  • Changing music: Different music dependant on the current season would be really sweet. The main theme is pretty good but it gets annoying after quite a while. A bit of change would be definitely beneficial for the game.
  • Boombox: I wish I could actually listen to some "Radio" using the Boombox (or chose a different background music with it). Instead it's rather useless after finishing
    the quest. (Well yea.. it gives a bonus if placed in your home.. but cmon).
  • House upgrade: I really want to use the small "garage-like space" at the side. Why does this even exist if I cant place any boxes (or sth else) in it?
  • Dessert Deedee Transport: For obvious reasons (very long walks) we really need a transport station in the eastern and southern dessert. Its just way to time consuming going there to farm those rocks.
  • Potato Fruit Image: I would prefer a yellowish brown instead of red, cuz this does not remind me of a potato as well.
  • Madcrab: Those things really need to have their drops changed. They are completely useless since by the time you get to battle them the 10g = nothing and meat = useless   
  • Bunnys: I would love it if they would drop their pink hat (2% dropchance e.g.)
  • Port of portia: The actual port of portia has currently no real value except for the beginning of the story. This is especially sad because the city is called "PORTia" and the port is looking really good. I would love to have some NPCs there. E.g. a shop selling fish / some material for upgrading your rod later on etc.
  • Birthday Message: Whenever someone has Birthday there should be a message after waking up to inform you. For this message you need to have the information about their birthday first. - This would make it way easier to keep track of all those birthdays (there are quite a lot of people in portia ;) )
  • Books: Books should be placable in your home. Gives you an additional way to decorate it.

Suggestion for balance changes
  • Data Disc droprate: The current droprate way to high when digging in the Ruins. The usage of Data Discs is (currently) very limited and you can get tons of them very easily.
    They should be something deseriable and farmworthy instead of a waste of inventory space. Especially since they are supposed to be the source of
    new crafting possibilities! Potential improvements:
    • Lower the droprate by *0.7 when digging.
  • Fertilizer: Fertilizer is very hard to farm compared to its use (especially lategame when you have multiple trees!) Potential improvements (chose one):
    • Lower the cost for fertilizer at Sophie's Farm
    • Increase the Mucus drop rate
    • If possible: 3 Muccus + 5 Bones + 15 Animal Feces -> 5 Fertilizer
  • Satchels: Those are (Commerce Mission "S") way to hard to farm considering the rewards you get from the commerce mission (not much more than an A Level one). Potential improvements
    (chose one) to this specific mission:
    • Increase drop chance of delicate fur (you could make rabbits drop them 100% and leave the chance for the slurpees)
    • Decrease the amount of delicate fur which 1 quality leather needs (I would suggest 3 instead of 4) - compared to others which only need either 2 fur or 2 worn fur (both are also considerably more easy to farm than the delicate one)
    • Decrease to amount of satchels you need to finish the quest from 2 -> 1
    • Increase the rewards (especially the points you get for the "ladder") (e.g. *1.5)
  • Wood: Hardwood is way to common (especially after you finish the tree farm quest) and rarely used. Either increase the usage for it or decrease the droprate. Same goes for Iron Wood (I feel here the drop rate is alright but the current usability is very limited). Potentially add some furniture which needs (a lot) of Hardwood / some Iron Wood - like a bed upgrade or some book shelves.

Others:

• Antoine: Antoine says "Skin care is a basic right.." but doesnt like Flowery Soap thats kinda odd.
  • Grass: Winter: Some grass spots remain green instead of turning white (snow effect) e.g. the spot infront of the commerce guild.
  • Big rocks: The position of the "healthbar" should be adjusted. Currently the position is a bit too high.
  • Actionbar [Endurance]: Gameplay "bugs": Actionbar (Endurance) doesn't refill when keeping the sprint button pressed even tho you don't sprint anymore. You can use the dodge roll when having a very little amount of action points left (less than it would normally cost). This should not be the case.

It would be really cool to see one or two of those changes/ideas getting actually implemented. I might add some more in the future.
That's it for now.

BR

Bonexy

Bonexy1

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Everything I personally would change in the game =)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »

I'm wondering if someone is even reading my huge post.

Ina

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »

I did (though I'm just a humble gamer), and I think these are great ideas. You made a good job writing them all so clearly. I agree with everything, except the idea with birthday message. Keeping up tracks with peoples birthdays that way would be way too easy, and I like the challenge ;).

It would be also nice if not only boombox have some music, but loudspeaker too. They could have different kinds of music.
For the books, it would be great if we could place the books on the shelf's. The bookshelf's looks kinda sad and empty right now.
The fertilizer is hard to do. I would increase not only mucus drop rate, but also the bones (or decrease number of items needed to craft fertilizer).

I was surprised with Antoine not liking Flowery Soap as well :D And I found more:
Alice like flowers, but is neutral to asteria
Gust is and artist, but he's neutral to pigments
Isaac talks about books being a ladder to human success, but he's neutral to books and photo album.
Oaks tells the Papa Bear's favourites are honey and fruits, but papa bear is neutral to snake berries, apples and honey wax.

Bonexy1

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »

I agree with what you additionally pointed out:

I just bought a bookshelf a few days ago and was disappointed that you can't place (or atleast store) books in it.
Also thank you for further pointing out the "flaws" of the current gifting system. The gift should be more tied to the personality of the person - so that you actually have a fair
chance of guessing what they like. I don't feel like testing every single item on every single person (I know there are lists for that on the internet - but still).

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »

It is well thought out and well presented.  Some I don't agree with but still valid to present.  Some I agree with and hope they implement.  Some I am indifferent about.  It is lengthy, which is why I haven't taken time to respond sooner.  You might do better to list each suggestion separately in the future so that people can comment on the ones that they are moved to comment on, either pro or con.  It helps your forum standing to make a different thread for each topic also, and much more likely to get responses when you narrow your focus, both from the devs and from the readers.  Every suggestion should have its own thread, for purposes of discussion and development... it's just easier to keep track of items that way.  Related things can be grouped together, but different items should be kept separate.  That's my opinion, but I think it's a good one.

Section One:
1) I keep my phone handy to check the time for that same reason.  An in-game clock (very small display) might be handy.
2) Agree.  It would be nice to be able to automatically upgrade the special weapons when you level up your base metal type... like 2 bars of iron + sword of malice + upgrade kit = iron sword of malice.
3) Absulutely agree about kicking trees.
4) I'm indifferent about this, until there comes a point where Carol's offerings are no longer good enough (higher level).
5) Agree. There is not enough room to keep both old and new equipment (in general).  You need to be able to replace the equipment, not just build more.  Eventually the furnaces that I have kept will be replaced with better ones... they are still useful for now, but should not be required once better ones are available.  Same applies to all other equipment.

Section Two:
1) Original and proprietary music is not cheap.  I do like the idea though, especially for #2
2) Boombox:  I haven't checked lately to see if the placement bug has been fixed, but yes... the description says it can play music, and it would be nice if that were true.  That's why I built it instead of the loudspeaker.  It would be more convenient just to build the loudspeaker and clear out all of the bats... which I will do the next time around.
3) I asked about the small room, and was told that they have plans for upgrading that area with specific workshop-related things (pick one for a specific bonus).  it is not intended for use other than that. It is in development.
4) I haven't been to that area yet, but if there isn't one or two then I absolutely agree.
5) Indifferent:  even if this is earth, in a post-apocalyptic world a potato fruit could look like anything... I see that as an artistic interpretation.
6) Haven't met them yet.  Haven't really looked at cooking recipes, but I think some decent things can be made from meat now.  I reserve judgement as the usefulnesss depends on individual play style.  10g is also not a bad drop, if I'm reading that right.  It depends on how hard they are to kill, I suppose... maybe should be worth more or have another uncommon item drop.  Maybe crab meat instead of meat, for a better recipe.
7) Haven't met them yet.  Yes, any clothing items, especially cute/handsome ones, are worthwhile.  They should be a rare drop though... especially if it has good stats as a drop item instead of as a treasure item.
8 ) There is a fishing pier at the port, so not entirely useless... also a deedee stop, so easy to get to.  Yes, a bait and tackle shop that will buy fish and maybe sell a fish recipe, bait, and equipment upgrades would be really nice.
9) Indifferent:  there is a birthday calendar that is easily accessible and requires no "in-game" time to reference, so it is just a matter of training yourself to check your calendar each day when you get up.
10) I have also made suggestions about being able to place objects on/in other objects: desktops, tabletops.  I didn't think of the bookshelves specifically, but I hope if they consider this that it would be included in that category.  I think because of the nature of a bookshelf, it would be easier to just artistically have books already in them.  You could only place one small object "on top" per floor square that it occupies, even if it were allowed.  That seems to be the nature of item placement.

Section Three
1) Absolutely disagree:  Data disk usage is expanding with every update.  Yes they used to pile up, but there are many new upgrades and items that they can be used on now.  I think the drop rate is fine the way it is.  I have no problem using them up (until I reach the end of the current expansion).
2) Agree, and already suggested.  Farming does work a little differently than I expected, so the initial cost will be recovered in time, even with the high price of fertilizer.  The market has been fixed so that there are opportunities for purchase at a lower rate, and if you stockpile when the price is low, you can save a lot.  I don't bother trying to make it myself, because as you say, it is simply too time-consuming to be profitable (unless you happen to already have the ingredients in stock, from other activities).  What you save on gols from making your own fertilizer, you lose from a more profitable use of your time.  It simply doesn't pay to make it yourself.
3) I didn't realize you can make them now.  I skip the satchel quests, but if you can make them they would be very useful for birthday gifts and gifts on the Day of Bright Sun where appropriate.  That is nearly an entire heart from one gift.  Drop rate of the colorful fur would be useful.  I think Delicate fur is more common on certain creatures, so you just have to hunt the right things.
4) The game is constantly expanding.  I'm sure there will be uses for everything, and a few things that are already needed that are not implemented yet.  [[EDIT: Have you started making wired flooring yet?  I believe that takes hardwood boards, and a lot of them to wire your entire shop.  (Note: each furnace generator has a range of 5 squares, and can only do 2 equipment at a time, so you have to plan your layout around that.)  There also may be new furniture items that could be made for sale using hardwood and ironwood.  There are a lot of things in the new expansion that I haven't even looked at yet.  Ironwood items will likely be used in high level commissions (eventually).  For now, I set the Tree Farm to low level (quantity over quality) for making the Dining Tables and keeping the furnaces stoked.]]

Section Four
I agree with all of these.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:21:41 PM by Omidawn »

Pgrs39

• Global Moderator
  • Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »

Hello everyone,

so far I really like My Time at Portia. This is also the reason why I made a personal list with things and thoughts which could improve the overall gameplay.
For every point I'm trying to give a little bit of reasoning why I think this should be changed or added. However this might not be a full or deep explanation since it would get a really messy post otherwise. Please feel free to comment on all or specific ideas.

What the game really needs
  • The current time (in real life): You get easily sucked into the game and its very easy to lose track of how much time actually passed in the real world. A possibility to
    show the real world time would be really nice to have.
  • Fun weapons: The game currently lacks "fun" weapons and the Enhanced Bronze Sword is literally useless since you get the Iron version at the same time. Why would you ever want to build that? Lower damage as well as no bonus effects. The only interesting (or different) weapon i got is Blade of Malice but sadly at the time I got this I already had the Iron Sword. So again: no reason to build it. Also some additional info on this weapon would be good in the interface (how much dmg does poison deal?).- And yes I know its more of a crafting game but since the battling feature is implemented (+ fun) and even (a few) bosses exist I think this is worth mentioning.
  • Kicking trees: Currently kicking trees feels a bit lackluster (or disappointing) compared to other methods of getting resources since you have to press your kick button once per kick. It would feel a lot better when you could just keep the button pressed just like you do for mining and chopping trees.
  • Making my own clothes: The game really needs more possiblities for crafting your own clothes (especially hats) - currently you are very limited and forced to buy them. I think using the advanced skiver for this kind of stuff would really fit the game.
  • Advanced Skiver: I have no idea why this upgrade is not able to craft all those things which a basic skiver can. Every other crafting machine can. Please add those blue prints to the advanced skiver.

Stuff which I think would be cool if implemented
  • Changing music: Different music dependant on the current season would be really sweet. The main theme is pretty good but it gets annoying after quite a while. A bit of change would be definitely beneficial for the game.
  • Boombox: I wish I could actually listen to some "Radio" using the Boombox (or chose a different background music with it). Instead it's rather useless after finishing
    the quest. (Well yea.. it gives a bonus if placed in your home.. but cmon).
  • House upgrade: I really want to use the small "garage-like space" at the side. Why does this even exist if I cant place any boxes (or sth else) in it?
  • Dessert Deedee Transport: For obvious reasons (very long walks) we really need a transport station in the eastern and southern dessert. Its just way to time consuming going there to farm those rocks.
  • Potato Fruit Image: I would prefer a yellowish brown instead of red, cuz this does not remind me of a potato as well.
  • Madcrab: Those things really need to have their drops changed. They are completely useless since by the time you get to battle them the 10g = nothing and meat = useless   
  • Bunnys: I would love it if they would drop their pink hat (2% dropchance e.g.)
  • Port of portia: The actual port of portia has currently no real value except for the beginning of the story. This is especially sad because the city is called "PORTia" and the port is looking really good. I would love to have some NPCs there. E.g. a shop selling fish / some material for upgrading your rod later on etc.
  • Birthday Message: Whenever someone has Birthday there should be a message after waking up to inform you. For this message you need to have the information about their birthday first. - This would make it way easier to keep track of all those birthdays (there are quite a lot of people in portia ;) )
  • Books: Books should be placable in your home. Gives you an additional way to decorate it.

Suggestion for balance changes
  • Data Disc droprate: The current droprate way to high when digging in the Ruins. The usage of Data Discs is (currently) very limited and you can get tons of them very easily.
    They should be something deseriable and farmworthy instead of a waste of inventory space. Especially since they are supposed to be the source of
    new crafting possibilities! Potential improvements:
    • Lower the droprate by *0.7 when digging.
  • Fertilizer: Fertilizer is very hard to farm compared to its use (especially lategame when you have multiple trees!) Potential improvements (chose one):
    • Lower the cost for fertilizer at Sophie's Farm
    • Increase the Mucus drop rate
    • If possible: 3 Muccus + 5 Bones + 15 Animal Feces -> 5 Fertilizer
  • Satchels: Those are (Commerce Mission "S") way to hard to farm considering the rewards you get from the commerce mission (not much more than an A Level one). Potential improvements
    (chose one) to this specific mission:
    • Increase drop chance of delicate fur (you could make rabbits drop them 100% and leave the chance for the slurpees)
    • Decrease the amount of delicate fur which 1 quality leather needs (I would suggest 3 instead of 4) - compared to others which only need either 2 fur or 2 worn fur (both are also considerably more easy to farm than the delicate one)
    • Decrease to amount of satchels you need to finish the quest from 2 -> 1
    • Increase the rewards (especially the points you get for the "ladder") (e.g. *1.5)
  • Wood: Hardwood is way to common (especially after you finish the tree farm quest) and rarely used. Either increase the usage for it or decrease the droprate. Same goes for Iron Wood (I feel here the drop rate is alright but the current usability is very limited). Potentially add some furniture which needs (a lot) of Hardwood / some Iron Wood - like a bed upgrade or some book shelves.

Others:

• Antoine: Antoine says "Skin care is a basic right.." but doesnt like Flowery Soap thats kinda odd.
  • Grass: Winter: Some grass spots remain green instead of turning white (snow effect) e.g. the spot infront of the commerce guild.
  • Big rocks: The position of the "healthbar" should be adjusted. Currently the position is a bit too high.
  • Actionbar [Endurance]: Gameplay "bugs": Actionbar (Endurance) doesn't refill when keeping the sprint button pressed even tho you don't sprint anymore. You can use the dodge roll when having a very little amount of action points left (less than it would normally cost). This should not be the case.

It would be really cool to see one or two of those changes/ideas getting actually implemented. I might add some more in the future.
That's it for now.

BR

Bonexy
Thanks for such a informative post, it will definitely help with future developments. I will pass them to the devs. :)

Pgrs39

• Global Moderator
  • Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 08:38:35 AM »

It is well thought out and well presented.  Some I don't agree with but still valid to present.  Some I agree with and hope they implement.  Some I am indifferent about.  It is lengthy, which is why I haven't taken time to respond sooner.  You might do better to list each suggestion separately in the future so that people can comment on the ones that they are moved to comment on, either pro or con.  It helps your forum standing to make a different thread for each topic also, and much more likely to get responses when you narrow your focus, both from the devs and from the readers.  Every suggestion should have its own thread, for purposes of discussion and development... it's just easier to keep track of items that way.  Related things can be grouped together, but different items should be kept separate.  That's my opinion, but I think it's a good one.

Section One:
1) I keep my phone handy to check the time for that same reason.  An in-game clock (very small display) might be handy.
2) Agree.  It would be nice to be able to automatically upgrade the special weapons when you level up your base metal type... like 2 bars of iron + sword of malice + upgrade kit = iron sword of malice.
3) Absulutely agree about kicking trees.
4) I'm indifferent about this, until there comes a point where Carol's offerings are no longer good enough (higher level).
5) Agree. There is not enough room to keep both old and new equipment (in general).  You need to be able to replace the equipment, not just build more.  Eventually the furnaces that I have kept will be replaced with better ones... they are still useful for now, but should not be required once better ones are available.  Same applies to all other equipment.

Section Two:
1) Original and proprietary music is not cheap.  I do like the idea though, especially for #2
2) Boombox:  I haven't checked lately to see if the placement bug has been fixed, but yes... the description says it can play music, and it would be nice if that were true.  That's why I built it instead of the loudspeaker.  It would be more convenient just to build the loudspeaker and clear out all of the bats... which I will do the next time around.
3) I asked about the small room, and was told that they have plans for upgrading that area with specific workshop-related things (pick one for a specific bonus).  it is not intended for use other than that. It is in development.
4) I haven't been to that area yet, but if there isn't one or two then I absolutely agree.
5) Indifferent:  even if this is earth, in a post-apocalyptic world a potato fruit could look like anything... I see that as an artistic interpretation.
6) Haven't met them yet.  Haven't really looked at cooking recipes, but I think some decent things can be made from meat now.  I reserve judgement as the usefulnesss depends on individual play style.  10g is also not a bad drop, if I'm reading that right.  It depends on how hard they are to kill, I suppose... maybe should be worth more or have another uncommon item drop.  Maybe crab meat instead of meat, for a better recipe.
7) Haven't met them yet.  Yes, any clothing items, especially cute/handsome ones, are worthwhile.  They should be a rare drop though... especially if it has good stats as a drop item instead of as a treasure item.
8 ) There is a fishing pier at the port, so not entirely useless... also a deedee stop, so easy to get to.  Yes, a bait and tackle shop that will buy fish and maybe sell a fish recipe, bait, and equipment upgrades would be really nice.
9) Indifferent:  there is a birthday calendar that is easily accessible and requires no "in-game" time to reference, so it is just a matter of training yourself to check your calendar each day when you get up.
10) I have also made suggestions about being able to place objects on/in other objects: desktops, tabletops.  I didn't think of the bookshelves specifically, but I hope if they consider this that it would be included in that category.  I think because of the nature of a bookshelf, it would be easier to just artistically have books already in them.  You could only place one small object "on top" per floor square that it occupies, even if it were allowed.  That seems to be the nature of item placement.

Section Three
1) Absolutely disagree:  Data disk usage is expanding with every update.  Yes they used to pile up, but there are many new upgrades and items that they can be used on now.  I think the drop rate is fine the way it is.  I have no problem using them up (until I reach the end of the current expansion).
2) Agree, and already suggested.  Farming does work a little differently than I expected, so the initial cost will be recovered in time, even with the high price of fertilizer.  The market has been fixed so that there are opportunities for purchase at a lower rate, and if you stockpile when the price is low, you can save a lot.  I don't bother trying to make it myself, because as you say, it is simply too time-consuming to be profitable (unless you happen to already have the ingredients in stock, from other activities).  What you save on gols from making your own fertilizer, you lose from a more profitable use of your time.  It simply doesn't pay to make it yourself.
3) I didn't realize you can make them now.  I skip the satchel quests, but if you can make them they would be very useful for birthday gifts and gifts on the Day of Bright Sun where appropriate.  That is nearly an entire heart from one gift.  Drop rate of the colorful fur would be useful.  I think Delicate fur is more common on certain creatures, so you just have to hunt the right things.
4) The game is constantly expanding.  I'm sure there will be uses for everything, and a few things that are already needed that are not implemented yet.  [[EDIT: Have you started making wired flooring yet?  I believe that takes hardwood boards, and a lot of them to wire your entire shop.  (Note: each furnace generator has a range of 5 squares, and can only do 2 equipment at a time, so you have to plan your layout around that.)  There also may be new furniture items that could be made for sale using hardwood and ironwood.  There are a lot of things in the new expansion that I haven't even looked at yet.  Ironwood items will likely be used in high level commissions (eventually).  For now, I set the Tree Farm to low level (quantity over quality) for making the Dining Tables and keeping the furnaces stoked.]]

Section Four
I agree with all of these.
And thanks for contributing and sharing your experiences.  :)

Sathuros

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »

"Birthday Message: Whenever someone has Birthday there should be a message after waking up to inform you. For this message you need to have the information about their birthday first. - This would make it way easier to keep track of all those birthdays (there are quite a lot of people in portia ;) )"

This could be implemented into the Calender, making it more useful :) (And it would trigger players to find out more about the citizens)