My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Some Suggestions/Thoughts  (Read 194 times)

seastar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Some Suggestions/Thoughts
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:35:00 AM »

I'm absolutely in love with this game, first of all. It's like a combination of every farming life sim and exploration and crafting game I've ever loved. I adore all the characters, and am very excited to see where the game will go in the future.

A few things I love about the game:

1. The vast colorful world and characters, all the places to explore. It's beautiful even on my somewhat crappy computer which requires me to turn the graphics to the lowest settings. I love the stories behind the world and the characters and the events.

2. The crafting. It's challenging without being impossible. While I dread waiting 20 something hours to make ten copper bars, I do think I'd be somewhat more frustrated if the game was so easy that I could just get them all immediately. I enjoy all the possibilities of things to make.

3. I like that there are so many different ways to gather materials, if it was just mining and tree cutting and gathering I'd get bored quick. But we get farming, fishing, gathering, woodcutting, mining, quarrying, shopping, fighting creatures, a little bit of everything!

There are a few suggestions I have as well:

1. With there being so much to do to gather everything for crafting for commissions and quests and such, there is little time left for socializing. Normally I wouldn't mind this so much, I'm usually content to just talk with people as I see them and pursue friendships with the ones I want on my own time, but even that is hard to do. I find it very hard to befriend sooo many wonderful characters when each heart takes so much to fill up. Even with increased social skills I'm finding it difficult to make friends and romance potential spouses. I'm also scared this will be more difficult depending on how losing points over time will work. Maybe I'm just not as good at managing my time and resources, but not everyone is an expert level player.

2. I love love love all the different marriage options, but I find myself wanting to make my character look cute and suitable next to whoever I choose to woo. This is a kind of out there suggestion but maybe we could have a height slider or a taller player character in general? Just by a bit? I keep feeling a little awkward being half the height of Arlo or looking half the age of Aadit. That's another thing, I'd love if we could have more cosmetic options or face or body options that would just make the player character look a little older if we wanted. I've tried to mess with the eyes and eyebrows and such to make my character look older but...being half the height of some of my favorite characters I want to romance makes me feel...off. I'm not saying I want to play a full blown middle age looking adult but my character feels almost childish rather than 18 or 19.

3. Dunno if this is a suggestion or a bug, but I was jumping around and got stuck behind the Commerce building. Halfway through my day. After a trip to the ruins. Kind of frustrating having to restart my game because I got stuck.

4. I love how many requests and main quests there are to do, but I'm finding myself having to choose between focusing on main quests and quests gotten thru talking to people or the mail or events, or commissions. And it's hard to level up my workshop if I'm not taking commissions all the time. I've yet to get enough points to get a first or second place rating.

5. I would also loveee to see farming being further developed. Maybe a plot of land or a greenhouse that we could get? And tools to take care of the plants instead of having them just grow? It'd be a fun break from all the running around collecting things. Just a nice hour at the workshop to take care of some crops (animals would be so exciting too!).

Sorry if some of these suggestions are out there, I absolutely love the game as it is but I just kept having these thoughts as I was playing. Thank you so much for making this game it's one of my new favorites!

Failisse

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Some Suggestions/Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:41:15 AM »

Your #3 Suggestion, do you mean you restarted your game from scratch or that you had to reload your game day? Because if something like this happens again you know you can always wait until 3AM when your character resets itself at the house.

The only issue with that is that you wouldn't be able to use the rest of those hours to do something productive.

Hence why I've been asking for a manual save option so issues like this might be resolved by just loading an earlier save of that day.

But in any case, I too agree with these suggestions. :)

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Some Suggestions/Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »

While I dread waiting 20 something hours to make ten copper bars, I do think I'd be somewhat more frustrated if the game was so easy that I could just get them all immediately. I enjoy all the possibilities of things to make.

You will produce faster when you get better equipment, and you can have multiple furnaces, grinders, cutters running.  Eventually you will be able to produce as fast or faster than you can collect the resources.  You will want to have the highest level equipment running because it is more efficient, but you can certainly keep your older equipment running to stock up on other semi-finished goods (stacks of bars, glass, etc.) or to have better stuff to sell, until you are able to upgrade them (i.e. have full production on better equipment).

1. Even with increased social skills I'm finding it difficult to make friends and romance potential spouses.

There is a wikia for My Time At Portia that has good socializing info (still a work in progress), but you can also get socializing info on the General Discussion forum in the "Black Book" that I helped put together.  It has most of the same info, plus some other tips/strategies that are not in the Wikia.  One recent change is that the social will not normally go into the negative anymore.  You would have to "break someone's heart" to go into the negative, if my estimation is correct.  The worst that would happen is that you would need to start again from scratch, if you neglect someone for too long.  Once you get to "Buddy" level, it is easy to keep your friend levels up.  I focused on the social table so that I could test things out, and so I have the "Associate" Play Date unlocked.  That makes befriending people (and getting their friend bonuses) a lot easier.  I am in the 5th month on my play-through and I am Buddies with half of the town.  It is definitely possible if you make it a priority.  Once you know what to gift them, you can get to Buddy in about a game month, without an extravagant expense.

2. I'd love if we could have more cosmetic options or face or body options that would just make the player character look a little older if we wanted.

Agreed.  Perhaps just a beard option for the males, and a little more figure for the females would be enough.  A half head shorter is still within adult norms.

4. I love how many requests and main quests there are to do, but I'm finding myself having to choose between focusing on main quests and quests gotten thru talking to people or the mail or events, or commissions. And it's hard to level up my workshop if I'm not taking commissions all the time. I've yet to get enough points to get a first or second place rating.

I have a friend who OCD blitzed through the game and has already surpassed me after a week of playing.  I'm not sure how many game weeks it took, but she is already ahead of Higgins.  My best showing took me around a game year to pass him, diligently doing a commission per day (rarely missing a day).  That said, you can usually set up your production in the morning, spend the day collecting resources or socializing, then pick up and turn in your commission either in the evening or first thing the next morning.  You can "block" Higgins from taking the commission you want (if you still need to turn one in) by "looking at" the one you want while he selects from the board.  Then you can hunt down the person you need to deliver to and come back and still get the commission you want for the day.

5. I would also loveee to see farming being further developed. Maybe a plot of land or a greenhouse that we could get? And tools to take care of the plants instead of having them just grow? It'd be a fun break from all the running around collecting things. Just a nice hour at the workshop to take care of some crops (animals would be so exciting too!).

I agree.  It would be nice to be able to do something besides fertilize that would help move the bar back up into the green.  If you want to just fertilize and be on to the next thing... that is an expensive approach to farming but allows for other things.  However, there should be a cheaper "labor of love" method that would take more time but still keep the plants healthy without having to spend a lot of gols (or in most cases, be able to do something if you miss the shop closing or can't buy more fertilizer until the prices go down).  An alternative method to crop health would be very nice.  One way fast and expensive, the other way slow and cheap... or be able to combine them as needed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:12:17 PM by Omidawn »