My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Wheels Rotateing  (Read 239 times)

Zaris24

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Wheels Rotateing
« on: March 03, 2018, 01:10:50 AM »

Can we please have so we can Rotate / Turn Wheels
If you build somthing the wrong way as i read soo many have done
atleast this could fix some of it

Please can we get Rotateing wheels
Or a way to Mark all and then rotate evrything ??
ive seen this has allso been asked Ages ago

i feel its sad that stuff being asked and surgested ages ago isent  being thought off after so many years
or is the support in the game dead ?

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Wheels Rotateing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:17:02 AM »

If you put the turning wheels on the back instead of the front, then I think you have to replace all of the wheels entirely, as (if I remember right) you have to designate a steering/non-steering tire before you place it.  However you can still place both tires at the same time using the mirror exactly down the middle of the vehicle.  I would place the new tires just offset from the old ones before deleting the original tires, so that you can easily position them in the same place.  I also am sure you can rotate them before you place them, if not after, since some of them have "hubcaps" that you want facing the right direction.  (Or maybe you just have to place it on the other side of the mirror -- it's been a while since I've used it.)

I know that a lot of people like to have steering wheels on both front and back for tighter turns, but for me this is just crazy fishtailing and spin-outs.  I would rather have front wheel steering only.  Very few vehicles handle well with the augmented turns.

If you do want all four tires to be steering tires, then I think you can place all four at the same time with a double mirror (x and z) but do not select to mirror through the axis. If you do then you just get the one in the opposite corner.  (I haven't done this in a while, so I'm just saying this from what I remember... sorry if I got it wrong.)

[[EDIT: sorry, I should add... the reason you can't turn them is that if they are not perfectly aligned then you will have crazy cantering from misaligned tires.  They are set up to always be pointed in the right direction, and only turn if you are turning the vehicle.  This is to make design of usable vehicles more streamlined for the casual creator.  Being able to micromanage the exact alignment of wheels is something that most people would never need or want to do.  Giving this ability will likely screw things up for most people if they don't get it exactly 180 degrees rotated.]]  That being said, it might be useful to be able to cant the tires top to bottom and add extra tilted tires for better traction on uneven terrain (hillsides, going crossways along a steep slope -- like traveling along a steep coastline).  It might help, it might not.

If you are new to building vehicles, it is very useful to double each of the tires (overlap them partially or completely) for better traction, make the chassis wider than it is tall for stability, and possibly add extra wheels in the center to keep from bottoming out on uneven terrain (similar to the BRDM).  For taking rough terrain, you want the tires to hit the terrain before the nose of the vehicle (you can "hide" 2 small wheels in the nose, non-turning, to lift the front if you run into a steep hillside -- you can make them look like a bumper).  The more wheels contact the ground, the less likely you will get stuck.  Also, incorporating jet exhaust into your design will allow you to scale small cliffs (as long as you can get to the top during the boost duration).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:58:45 AM by Omidawn »