My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: About the voice over...  (Read 246 times)

mallenlane

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
About the voice over...
« on: January 26, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »

Not to second guess, but... I guess I'm about to anyway.

Wouldn't it have been much easier and more cost effective to do something similar to games like Xenoblade or even Breath of the Wild, where only major cut-scenes are fully voiced? The rest of the standard character text in most of these RPGs is simply prefaced with a simple emotive sound; happy, surprised, angry etc.

That way you could add considerably more flavor text to the citizens quickly and cheaply, and they wouldn't be stuck saying the same single phrase nonstop. Even if you tripled the current amount of voiced dialog each of these characters has, it still wouldn't be remotely enough to make interacting with them interesting.

Perhaps it's too late to change directions now on it, but it seems to be limiting your output and frankly a waste of your funding.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:23:34 PM by mallenlane »

Wasselin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: About the voice over...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:44:48 AM »

I second this. It could stay how it is now, but just add dialog that isn't voiced. I don't think every single thing the characters say needs to be voiced. It would be better to read more varied dialog then to have the same dialog read to me every time I talk to someone.