Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Power Generator  (Read 397 times)

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Power Generator
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:02:56 AM »

This might not be a bug -- maybe I just don't understand what it is supposed to be used for.  There is no real instruction as to which pieces of equipment actually attach to it, so I presumed that it could be used to run the equipment that normally runs on the power stones.  I fueled it up, made sure the planking connected my row of equipment, turned it on.  No power is sent to the equipment.  They all say that they still need power stones and are out of fuel.

FYI, it took a while to figure out how to fuel up the generator.  For those who are reading, you have to hold the wood in your hand and load it piece by piece into the generator.  Quite a tedious process.  I'm not sure why you can't load it like you do the furnaces.

Anyway, it was disappointing that none of the equipment actually runs off of the generator.  A little clarification would be appreciated.  Is this a bug?  Does the planking need to run behind the equipment?  I assumed that it just had to connect in on one side, any side, by at least one square.  It seemed appropriate to make the planking a walkway for my workshop, but if it needs to attach from behind, I can lay things out differently.

dilanli

• Administrator
  • Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Power Generator
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »

Well, the power generator can power up the equipment that runs on the power stones, all you have to do is connect them via flooring, by your description you done it correctly, can you please check how many equipment have you connected onto the flooring? Because a power generator can only support limited number of equipment, if over the limit the power will fall short and all the equipment connected to the flooring will be out of power.
We are going to add more effects and UI instructions so player will know how to connect the power generator. A pop up window just like the furnaces is another option we are considering right now.

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »

I think I had a row of about 6 machines at first, since I only had 6 planks to work with, that is all I could fit on either side.  2 Skivers, Grinder, Blender, and 1 or 2 Cutters.  After that, I trimmed it back to just one Skiver, to see if I could get it to work with that one first.  I finally gave up.  When I turn the generator on, it still says 0/0, which I assume means that there are 0 equipment connected (that it deems acceptable).  And yes, it did say the generator was on and fueled up with about 2 days fuel.

I think once this is running, it will go through a lot of fuel quickly, so I hope that adding fuel will be made a little easier.

I'll try to add a picture of the setup in a little bit.  I put the planks back down just to get them out of inventory, but I'll pick it up again so that just the Skiver is attached.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:09:43 PM by Omidawn »

dilanli

• Administrator
  • Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:26:08 AM »

Ok, while you try that, I will test the generator at my end, also we are adding operation instructions and effects that can indicate if the generator is working or not.

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »

it just occurred to me that you might be able to set the equipment ON the boardwalk.  I picked up a Skiver and sure enough, you can place it on top of the boards.  So, I think maybe it wasn't connected because it has to actually be ON the boards, and not NEXT TO the boards.  LoL.  I'll have to do some juggling around, and I'll need a lot more copper wire if I'm going to plank my whole workshop.

EDIT: Yep, that did it!

Now, if I can make a suggestion...
Since the power grid is not really being used to walk on, but rather to set your equipment on,  can you make the other boards usable as flooring for the rest of the workshop?  The different types of wood can be different color flooring, but I think hardwood would match the best.  Then I would also put something like a yellow diagonal stripe pattern or some kind of symbol on the power grid so that you can still tell where the grid is going.  I know you can use the same power planks to fill out the rest of your workshop, but it is difficult with the need for copper wiring in each piece.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:43:10 PM by Omidawn »