Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: NPC Dialogue is impersonal  (Read 88 times)

DanielCampbell

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
NPC Dialogue is impersonal
« on: October 24, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »

NPC's dialogue isn't directed at the player character, but is rather generic. For instance, the first time you talk to them, they don't introduce themselves or use your name, they just say a random line that pertains to THEM rather than YOU. When we talk to people, we talk WITH them, not AT them. Right now their dialogue just seems like random RPG NPC fodder dialogue. The kind of thing a faceless person in an old Final Fantasy game would say. Someone that's there for exposition rather than a person with a personality and interactions of their own. These people have faces and personalities though.

For instance when you meet Oaks, he doesn't introduce himself or ask who you are, he talks about carving a llama. Not exactly something you'd do when meeting someone for the first time. If someone said to this when you first met them, I doubt you'd walk away saying feeling personally connected to that person.

Float

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: NPC Dialogue is impersonal
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »

You have a point!

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: NPC Dialogue is impersonal
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:40:27 AM »

If you want each character to act like Cortana or Siri, I think your expectation is too high (although that would be awesome).  I agree that it would be nice if you have a girlfriend (or boyfriend) and they use your name when they stop to say "hi," and maybe say one or two things that are a little more personal instead of the one line that they use for the meet and greet.

Maybe have some dialog similar to the dating that they can use for greeting you on the street, that is specific to each level of a relationship.

I currently have a sweetheart with 7 hearts, have bought a wedding ring from the strange merchant, and am about to expand the house so that marriage is unlocked. I'm curious to see what happens when they are actually part of your family and live in your house.  She does stop to say hi to me in passing, but still only says her one line when I chat with her outside of dating.